Police Misconduct October 17, 2018bhorwitz
$180,000 settlement for police brutality
By: Nicholas Alajakis Lake County News-Sun
August 16, 2007
A former Waukegan man has settled an excessive force lawsuit against city police officers.
The city of Waukegan agreed to pay Roy Castillo $180,000 last week, stemming from an April 2005 incident in front of his home near Tobin Court and 12th Street.
The excessive force claim came after Castillo said he saw officers beating a man they were arresting. When he confronted the officers and told them they didn’t have to be so rough, he was maced and beaten, said his attorney, Blake Horwitz. “He just yelled at them: ‘You don’t have to beat him like Rodney King,’” said Horwitz, a police misconduct lawyer. Police also arrested Castillo that day, but charged were later dropped.
Castillo, who has since moved out of the Chicago area, subsequently sued the city and officers Arturo Flores and Micael Rauschenberger, alleging excessive force, false arrest and malicious prosecution.
Waukegan Police Chief William Biang would not comment on the settlement Wednesday afternoon. Brian Grach, the city’s corporation counsel, could not be reached for comment. Flores remains on the city’s police force. Rauschenberger has since resigned and moved out of state, Biang said. Horwitz said Castillo is happy that the case was resolved. “Though no amount of money can properly compensate for a beating at the hands of police, we are satisfied that the defendants recognized the error of their ways,” Horwitz said in a statement.